Job Posting: Program Coordinator – Wheelchair Athletics
Nathan Bragg | January 23, 2024
BC Wheelchair Sports is seeking a full-time staff person with primary responsibility for Wheelchair Athletics (track, road, and seated throws) programs and events, including oversight of athletes, coaches, and officials’ development. Additional program responsibilities will include the ‘Bridging the Gap’ (BTG) recruitment and retention program, special events, community partnerships and other programs and services as required.
The successful candidate will report to the Executive Director. For more information on BCWSA’s Vision, Mission, Values and Strategic Plan, click here.
Program Coordinator- Wheelchair Athletics: This position could be adjusted to include athletics coaching responsibilities depending on the skills and interests of the successful applicant.
Compensation: $42,436-$50,393 per year
Application Deadline: Sunday, February 4, 2024
Anticipated Start Date: February 26, 2024
For full details of this position, read below or click here to download the posting
- -Wheelchair Athletics Program Delivery: Work directly with coaches, athletes, officials, clubs and partner organizations to develop and deliver programming in in track, road racing and seated throws including annual planning, new program/regional development, training camps and clinics, competition, provincial team program, equipment, sport science and medicine, coach and officials development.
- -Event Support: Assist with the delivery of regional, provincial, and international wheelchair sport events hosted by BCWSA.
- -Bridging the Gap- Getting Physically Active Program: Support program delivery, including athlete recruitment, introductory programs, Have a Go Days, peer mentors, equipment, community partnerships, and awareness events.
- -Partner Communication and Alignment: Work with local, provincial and national partners to ensure ongoing communication and alignment of programs, including Athletics Clubs, BC Athletics and Athletics Canada. Work closely with performance partners including viaSport and the Canadian Sport Institute Pacific.
- -WC Race Series: Provide guidance and mentorship to the WC Race Series to ensure effective support of athletics athletes in BC.
- -Planning, Budgeting and Reporting: Support the Program Managers and Executive Director to develop strategic plans, and budgets and ensure accurate tracking of all reporting data and information.
- -BCWSA Wheelchair Loan Program: Support the delivery of the BCWSA Wheelchair Loan Program particularly as it relates to wheelchair racing and seated throws.
- -General Administration duties related to the position
- -Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- -Hybrid work environment but must be willing to commute to the office (780 SW Marine Drive in Vancouver) on a weekly basis
- -Full-time position (37.5 hr/week): must be available to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
- -Physical effort related to the position includes loading/unloading adaptive sports equipment for programming and supplies for events.
Qualifications and Experience
- -A degree in Kinesiology, Sports Management or related field, , or equivalent experience in sport programming, athlete and coach development
- -Budget Development and Reporting Experience
- -Experience working in the BC or Canadian sport system
- -Excellent communication skills – verbal and written
- -Ability to foster and maintain effective professional relationships
- -Must be able to work efficiently, independently and be able to multi-task
- -Must be available to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends and in event based environments, some travel required
- -Must complete the BCWSA Screening Process including a Criminal Record Check
- -Class 5 driver’s license is required
- -Class 4 driver’s license (or the ability to apply for one) is an asset
- -Experience working with people with physical disabilities is an asset
- -Knowledge of sports wheelchairs or bicycle mechanics is an asset
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to Executive Director Michelle McDonell by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
BC Wheelchair Sports Association welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process
Note: Only individuals chosen for an interview will be contacted