Job Posting: Computer Science Intern
massive-dev | October 25, 2016
We are seeking an organized individual with a passion for data to join our team!
Job Title:Computer Science Intern
Employer: BC Wheelchair Sports Association www.bcwheelchairsports.com
BC Wheelchair Sports Association (BCWSA) is a provincial sport organization responsible for the delivery of wheelchair athletics, wheelchair rugby and wheelchair tennis from the grassroots to provincial level. Through leadership, awareness and mentorship, BCWSA provides exceptional wheelchair sport programs and services that promote active living and the pursuit of excellence.
About the Position
BC Wheelchair Sports Association has partnered with the Neil Squire Society’s Youth Internship Program in hiring a Computer Science Intern to assist with the implementation of a new member, donor and volunteer database system for the organization.
Job Overview: The Computer Science Intern will work closely with BCWSA Program, Finance and Communications Staff and Executive Director. Currently, there are number of web-based data management and communication tools that enable and inform the organization’s communication, fundraising and community engagement. These tools include Salesforce, Mailchimp, iATS, and Excel.
BC Wheelchair Sports has recently worked with Traction for Good to create a customized database for member, volunteer and donor relations. The successful candidate will work with us to clean and migrate data, create registration and report forms, utilize the system to assist in program and financial management, marketing, communication and fundraising campaigns, and assist other BCWSA staff in doing so.
BC Wheelchair Sports Association and the Neil Squire Society are equal opportunity employers. Our mission statements focus on the empowerment of people of disabilities. Preference will be given to a qualified person with a disability.
• In consultation with Program Staff, clean and load existing data and load new data on an ongoing basis, ensuring all data is as complete as possible and is appropriately linked.
• Create reports and forms within Salesforce and iATS as required by program, finance and communications staff.
• Work with communications and website staff to ensure forms are available on the association website and via other communication tools.
• Identify and troubleshoot database issues and propose solutions.
• Liaise with Traction and Salesforce consultants to enhance organizational knowledge of the database.
• Assist BCWSA Staff in understanding and utilizing the database.
• Attend BCWSA programs and events to support the utilization of the database.
• Assist with other administrative duties.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Strong ability to work independently in a self-directed manner
• Good organizational and planning skills
• Strong written and verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
• Good judgment and ability to work in a team environment
• Good knowledge of Salesforce, Mailchimp, iATS, Excel and is an asset
• Knowledge of programming language is an asset
• Post-secondary education in computer sciences or related fields is an asset
Eligibility for Position: As funding is partially provided through Innovation Science and Economic Development (ISED), the successful candidate must be:
• Youth must be between the ages of 15 to 30 (inclusive).
• Youth must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada and be legally entitled to work in Canada.
• Persons who are family members of employees of the intern host organization are not eligible.
• Youth cannot collect Employment Insurance benefits during their internship.
• Must have completed at least 1 course at college or university.
Hours: 24 hours/week
Internship Duration: 450 hours
Start Date: ASAP (Internship to be completed by March 31st, 2017)
Work Location: BC Wheelchair Sports Association 780 SW Marine Drive Vancouver BC V6P 5Y7
Please send your resume and cover letter to Gail Hamamoto – email@example.com – with the subject line: Youth Internship – Computer Science Intern. For more information, email as above or phone 604-333-3520 x201. Application Deadline: 18 November, 2016