BC Wheelchair Sports is seeking a dedicated individual to assist with our wheelchair sports program at GF Strong Rehab Centre in Vancouver in a long-term volunteer role.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities Include:
- Assist the BCWSA Program Coordinator & Recreation Therapy staff in the delivery of a weekly introductory wheelchair sports program at the GF Strong Gym Thursdays from 2:45 to 4:15 pm
- Ensure sports wheelchairs are in good working order prior to use by clients – tire pressure, back rest, foot plate, cushion, straps etc.
Ensure waivers are signed by all new participants
- Maintain awareness of sport wheelchairs used by each client
- Set-Up and Take-Down of program equipment including nets, balls, cushions, straps and chairs as required
- Assist clients with independent transfers and chair set-up as needed
- Participate in wheelchair sports program as required
Demonstrate proper wheeling technique and skills
Qualifications and Experience
- Must have a good understanding of working with people with disabilities
- Must be able to work efficiently, independently and be able to multi-task
- Must be willing to have a criminal record check
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of sports wheelchair is an asset
- Knowledge of lifts and transfers is an asset
- Physical ability to lift and move heavy objects is a requirement
- Must be available for a minimum period of 1 year.
- The application deadline is September 17th 2018. To apply, submit your resume and cover letter to BC Wheelchair Sports Program Coordinator Michelle McDonell by emailing email@example.com